Yesterday I was reminded just how amazing my man is. He called in the early afternoon and our conversation went something like this:
T: Hey, you didn't get me anything for Valentine's Day, did you?
C: Don't worry, I didn't get you a gift, so that you don't have to get me anything either, o.k.?
T: Just making sure. Are you o.k.?
C: I'm fine...
Of course, I can't put my tone of voice into this post, but I was a little annoyed after I hung up, thinking, "This is why I don't get him things, so that I won't be disappointed when he shows up w/ nothing and I was thoughtful." I was kind of on my high horse and felt so justified that I hadn't gotten him anything and wouldn't have to have that awkward "Look what I got you...oh, you didn't get me anything...???" awkward moment later in the day.
I did, however, plan an amazing menu of rib eye steaks, baked potatoes, homemade brown bread, salad, and for dessert--homemade chocolate lava cakes w/ ice cream, Magic Shell, and whipped cream. Basically, calorie overload, but whatever...
So as I'm setting the table and getting things ready for our special dinner w/ the kids, he walks in the door from work w/ flowers AND Andes mints--my fav! Be still my heart! I was genuinely surprised! AND he also gave me a card, which he wrote in--which he knows is my favorite thing--AND had put 2 "coupons" inside. (That's 3 "AND"s...)
The first one said "GOOD FOR ONE TEMPLE TRIP WITH YOUR HUSBAND" and had an expiration date of Feb. 12, 2011. Haha--we had gone on Saturday night and then to Olive Garden for our pre-Valentine's Day date.
The second one said "2 tickets to Wicked valid for May 4, 2011 @ 7:30pm." That's right--we're going to see it in May! Uber-excited!!!
So we did have that awkward moment after all, only completely reversed! Talk about feeling like crap! But feeling so fantastic all at the same time! He definitely got me!
So what's the moral of this Love-Day story? That Tim is amazing and the best thing that has ever happened to me. That he can still surprise me after 16 years, and that he just keeps getting better. He really is the perfect person for me. I don't know how I ever tricked him into falling for me, but I don't care. Point is, he's mine. And that couldn't make me happier. And I love that he knows to be afraid of the phrase "I'm fine."
And next year, I will definitely be getting him something amazing. :)
That's awesome! It's even more awesome that he's learned to listen to the unsaid things and interpret your tone. :) Some men still have a ways to go. I think my favorite part is the expired coupon for a temple night. Some husbands might say that's the best type of temple night! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good valentines day!
Glad you got to be spoiled on V-day. Excited that you get to go to Wicked! How thoughtful of him. We need to get our tickets too...
ReplyDeleteWicked is so awesome! That's a cute story :)
ReplyDelete