October 1, 2011

Stitches

My first-born is almost 14.  I have 4 children.  None of them has ever needed stitches or has broken a bone.  That's quite a track record, I think.  Crazy lucky, I know.  Brandon decided earlier this week that it was high time to change that.

Monday around noon, after running errands all morning long, and before I even got the groceries put away, my cell phone rang.  "Hi, Catherine (I love it when they call me that), this is Mrs. So-and-So, the nurse here at Sage Valley, and I have Brandon with me."  "Great," I thought...just what every mother wants to hear...  She went on to say that he had been playing basketball after lunch, and had somehow split his lip.  She said I needed to come look at it and decide if I thought we should go get stitches in it or not.

So I loaded Jake back into his car seat, left the groceries on the counter and headed for the school.  I had to ask where the nurse's office was...I had never been there.  When I saw him, I immediately knew we would be heading to get stitches.  I think I said something like, "Yeah, that's not good."  He was pretty bloody and had a chunk of his upper lip hanging down.  Awesome.  He said he had gone up for a rebound, and hit some kid's head with his jaw on the way down.  His tooth must have gone straight through his lip.

We stopped at home to put the cold things in the fridge and to get him some more ice, then headed to the Dr.  Tim had called Quick Care to see if they could do it so we could spare an ER bill.  They said they could, so that's where we went.  He ended up with 4 stitches total--one that will dissolve up inside his mouth and 3 normal ones.  I held his hand while they were shooting his mouth with the Lydocaine (sp??), but had to look away for the actual stitches.  I was not cut out for seeing blood.  I don't even look when I donate blood.  Outta sight, outta mind...  Nasty.

He is supposed to get the stitches out this Monday, so we'll see if they did their job and he looks better.  It has to look better without those black threads on his lip...

Here are a couple pics of the stitches for your viewing pleasure, haha.  I should've taken one of before when his lip was hanging, but we were in a little bit of a hurry.  And it was disgusting...

And pay no attention to that 'stache...we took care of that a few days ago.  My little boy has now officially shaved...guess that means I'm old...nah, it just means he's really hairy.


No comments:

Post a Comment